MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON, COULD IT BE BECAUSE IT'S NOT READING MY COOLANT TEMPERATURE?

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt • 96,000 miles

While I was driving I hit a bump and my check engine light came on, which made me think a wire had come loose. When I looked closer I realized my dash was reading; Coolant: --
It stayed this way for roughly a month, then one day my check engine light went off and my coolant reading was displaying a temperature (can't recall the number). The next time I turned on my car the check engine light was back on and coolant was no longer displaying a temperature. Any thoughts?

Cobalt1993

You could have had a bit of air in the cooling system that got shook free which dropped the level. Even though it may have sorted out it could be triggering another snesor that is near out of specification like the coolant snesor. It is hard to say without getting the trouble code pulled. Any Advance Auto or Auto Zone will do this for free.