BMW 330 DEALER PROBLEM

2006 BMW 330 • 86,300 miles

Hi about 6 months ago the sound systemin the car went from making little noise to none. I read forums saying it was probably a bad amplifier. I replaced the amp and had it programmed by the bmw dealership which was about an 8 hour drive from my hometown. They thought that would fix the no noise problem but it did not. They said they would charge me another 2 hours worth of work at the rate of 120 and I said no thanks, because they had no idea where to even start looking for the problem other then saying it might be a lose wire or bad wiring connection. Anyway long story short, the radio still does not work. The stereo head unit displays all the right pictures and all the buttons work, but no sound. Also the steering wheel buttons work as well. So far I have spent a great deal of money on this issue only to come up with zero solutions and no working radio. Could it be the radio head unit has gone bad somehow, even though everything seems to be working besides the sound? Is it a blown fuse, although I have checked a lot of them? I do not know what to do. Should I just spend more money and buy a used head unit? Would I have to bring to the dealership to get it programmed for another 260 dollars? I am very frustrated and need any and all suggestions and help. Please and thank you.
Soccerfan4

I can help you. Please repost with the last 7 of the VIN so I can ID the car properly.

Dr. Hagerty
AZ86309

Soccerfan4
Thank you. It does not surprise me that the dealer (stealer) could not be more forthcoming, just one of the reasons I quit corporate, the shop floor is often populated with bloody parts changers, not technicians.
You may have a programming issue or an optical cable issue involved here.
I am searching the dealerspeed network for an answer. It may take time. Please remind me with a private message if I dont respond straightaway as I am often distracted with all that goes on here.

Dr. Hagerty

Dr. Hagerty
A Z 8 6 3 0 9

Soccerfan4
If the repairing technician was not aware of the enabling codes or did not bring the vehicle to the newest/latest version of software, the issue will remain. The enormous complexity of these cars is staggering. Entering the VIN in the database did not bring up the cars history, which is unusual. Eight hours to the dealer, Wow! You must have really wanted that car pretty badly at the time, without wishing to sound cold hearted, what is your opinion of BMW now?
I will make a call to some of my spies, prepare to stand-by.

Dr. Hagerty
I had the dealership program the amp that I got from another bmw. So is there any way of fixing any of this without the dealership?

Soccerfan4
Possibly the parts you secured were not any better than the ones that were in the car.
Fixing it might involve considering other sound systems to install in the car.

Dr. Hagerty
Yes I should have thought about it before I got it. The dealership said they updated it to the latest software. I called bmw of usa and had the car put in my name so the history should be there. I love how the drives but I wont be getting another one anytime soon. I would really just like the radio to make sound. Could it be the speakers?

Soccerfan4
Doubtful the speakers all failed.

Dr. Hagerty