ABS LIGHT HAS TURNED ON

2005 Vauxhall Astra • 91,000 miles

I took my car to the vauxhall garage for a recall with the stearing column something to do with a plate or clip they put on for lights and horn. When I got it back a few days later the ABS light kept turning on and going of and now it is on constantly. Would this have any relation to the vauxhall garage recall? Ive tried ringing them and they deny it having any involvement would they just say this so I have to pay for it to be fixed?
If you could confirm or deny that it has any relationship to this recall fix I would be grateful.
Leasmith2662

I would say that this is just a coincidence, go get a scan and let me know what the fault code is, this may just be a faulty wheel sensor.

Mhpautos
Whats the worse case scenario it could be? And what cost I can expect?
Thanks for your quick reply. You saved me alot of time goin mad down the phone to the vauxhall garage.

Leasmith2662
Hard to say, I really need a fault code, worse case possible dead ABS module, cost, scary.

Mhpautos
Ill get it in this week and give you the code if thats allright god I hope its not the ABS module scary dosnt sound to good. It goes off sometimes then switches it self back on if it was proper serious would it just be on all the time?

Leasmith2662
That's fine, normally if an ABS module fails, it is stuffed. 9 out of 10 times with ABS lights I find it is a wheel speed sensor fault.

Mhpautos
What are the symptoms of ABS module failing can you spot it as your driving the car? What would you charge if you were replacing the ABS speed sensor so I dont get my pants pulled down at garage when I take it

Leasmith2662
Basically Failed ABS module is no ABS (you will lock a wheel up) Check light on, sometimes you can get a clicking and pulsation in the brake pedal, but that is normally a ABS pump failure, most speed sensors are about a 1/2 Hr fit, but we do not have your model here in Aust so I can't be sure on the time to replace.

Mhpautos
Well im still driving it ive tried an emergency stop and a stop with clutch in all it does is shudder and a scraping kind of noise I was skidding but that happened before light came on as well. The brakes are working just the same as before and wheels dont seem to lock up as im driving it so thats a good sign for not a failed ABS module. Hopefully just the sensor as you say half hour dosnt seem to bad of a cost.

Leasmith2662