MITSUBISHI ENDEAVOR ENGINE PROBLEM

2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor • 117,000 miles

I bought this Suv wih 70,000 miles and never once changed the timing belt. The manauel says change it at 75000. I got 117000 on it. Is it a good idea to change it now? Or whats the longest I can wait? This is a good Suv I havent had any problems with it since ive had it. If you can help me out here thatd be great. Andhow much is a good price to pay to buy it and have itinstalled?

You are on borrowed time. If that belt lets go while you are driving, you will be buying a new engine.

Wrenchtech
The longest you can wait is until it breaks. Repair cost will be near $3000.00 not including the tow truck. There's only one engine size listed and it's an "interference" engine. That means when the belt breaks the open valves will be hit and bent by the pistons as they coast to a stop. That means a valve job and head gaskets.

In the late '80s Honda recommended replacing the timing belt every 75,000 miles, and they typically broke at 65,000 miles. At that time that was already a $1500.00 repair for their 4-cylinder engines.

You can avoid that risk by having the belt replaced before it breaks. I did that once on my '88 Grand Caravan in 401,000 miles, but that is not an interference engine. The belt cost $25.00 eight years ago, and taking my time it took four hours. There's lots of variables but you might use that as a guide. If there's no problem with access under your hood, expect an estimate of around $500.00. If your mechanic is conscientious and is looking out for your best interest in the long run, he will also recommend replacing the water pump. It is driven by the timing belt and it's also a real big job by itself. When he already has the belt removed, it only takes a few extra minutes to replace the water pump too.

Sorry guys. It occurred to me that $3000.00 is typical for a total engine rebuild. A valve job would probably run in the neighborhood of $700.00 - 900.00. That's still a good incentive to have the timing belt replaced real soon.

You're "valve job" estimate would include normal valve grinding. Breaking a timing belt will bend and destroy valves and possibly damage the pistons and head also. Even if it's just bent valves, some of these valves sell for up to $40 each and if the piston or head gets damages, you will be looking at a new engine. The valves for this exact engine list for $25.67 ea. For intake and $33.33 each for exhaust. You can EASILY spend $2500-$3000 to repair an engine after breaking a timing belt.

Wrenchtech
Wonderful news for the car owner, huh?

"Pending member", you're on borrowed time. Get 'er done.