& POWER STEERING

2005 Mazda RX8

Steering problem
2005 Mazda RX8 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 73000 miles

My power steering warnign light is on--so my power sterring is not working. What are the possible problems & solutions and what are the potential costs in fixing?
Asiracsuse

Hello I had same too Maybe isn't there mechanic broken things then check steering electric line I just covered patch all my electric line. Then prob solved suddenly. Sry ma bad english I just want to help.

Davaakhuu
The RX8 has one of the most complicated steering systems in the industry.
First, if you just consider the problems that can occur with the power steering mechanical and basic sensrs, there are failure possibilities such as; Internal pump or Rack pressure failure due to by-pss of fluid around an internal leaking seal or o-ring.
Pressure sensor for speed sensitive steering.
The pump could have failed to provide adequate pressure.

Then there are the considerations of the electronic steering sytem controls that get so involved, I will give you some of the higher level functions just to give you an idea; If you have Tire Pressure Sensor Monitors, they must be reset after any re-balance and rotation of the tires.
There could be a failure of sensors or controls with the active steering components such as the steering angle sensor and the steering yaw sensor. The steering angle sensor measures the angle of the wheels and the ywat snesor meansures the angle of the car compared to the angle of the wheels to determine if the car is over-steering or under-steering. Any modification to the suspension or suspension work should be performaed by a Mazda dealer as this will affect the system.

Then it gets more complicated. The best thing to do is to have the Diagnostic Trouble codes pulled. Normally, I would refer you to an Advance Auto or Auto Zone as they pull codes for free. And you should try them first. However the steering system is so complicated that a special code puller is required and the standar code puller may only get a failure in the sytem code when a dealership will get a much more accurate diagnosis.

Not all models of the RX8 may have all the elctronics that are offered and that makes diagnosis very tough.
If you can't find the problem easily from a standard code reader or you have the full elctronic active steering and suspension, Tire Pressure Measurement System, etc. I would reccomend going to a Mazda dealership to have it serviced.

It is an issue of what you have in options, what a standard code reader will pull as the trouble code and what the actual problem is.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

The power steering is so complicated that I recomend going to a dealership and having the trouble codes pulled.

The cost is hard to determine as it will depend on how many options you have.
There is Tire Pressure Monitoring Sytem, Steering Angle Sensor, Yaw Sensor and integrated oversteer/understeer PCU and ABS integration, active supension, and the list goes on.
The RX8 has one of the most complicated power sytem systems and truly a great piece of engineering. You might be able to go to Adavance Auto or Auto Zone, as I would usualy would recommend, but I don't think a stnadard code puller will give a good diagnostic. This also depends on how many options your car has.
If you take it to a dealership, it should cost approximately.5-1.0 Labor Hours to pull the Diagnostic codes and give you the most likely source for the problem with the car. If they only pull the codes and give you the printout, it should be closer to.5 Labor Hours.
Repair is impossible to estimate as the system is too complicated for the estimation system I have, unless it is something simple and there is nothing simple about the steering.

Let me know what you find and come back to us with the trouble codes.