FUEL PUMP ON 2. LITER

2005 Mazda 3 • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

I need instructions on how to replace the fuel pump on 2005 mazda 3 2.3 liter. The check engine light came on several months ago (about 6-8) and I took it in for routine maintenance and had them check it out. I was told the fuel pump was getting "sluggish". For a couple of months now the car has been hard to start after putting gas in and is now stalling at times when sitting at traffic lights, etc.
Missyg

The fuel pump would not trigger the CEL. What were the exact trouble codes retrieved?

To rule out the fuel pump as the problem, you need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge if its within specs

I don't know what the trouble codes were. The mechanic just said that they checked it out and the only thing that showed any sign of a problem was the fuel pump. I didn't feel the need to replace it right then and figured I would wait until I had to replace it. Now I do not have the money to take it in to the repair shop to have it done and thought I would try it myself. I have a friend who replaced hers with a video on youtube.

Missyg
Most parts stores provides free scanning services. Go get the code and we shall see what needs to be done.

Replacing a component without understanding what is wrong could be a waste of time and money.

OK. If I get a code you will know what the code means? What I'm asking is are the codes universal, meaning everyone uses the same ones?

Missyg
Yes, OBD-II codes are universal. It will tell us what component/system is at fault. We can go along the codes to diagnose and rectify the problem.

Ok. I will get that done as soon as possible and let you know. It may be later this afternoon.I think I will call the Mazda dealership I took the car too before and see if they will give me the codes.

Missyg