CAR STARTS BUT QUICKLY SPUTTERS AND DIES.

2005 Kia Rio • 60,000 miles

The first time I start my car it will idle for awhile (like 10 minutes) before it sputters out and dies. From there on out every time you start it it will almost immediatly try and sputter and die. If you rev the gas pedal it will stay running until u take your foot off of the gas. It almost sounds to me like its getting starved for gas after a brief time. I was going to change the fuel filter but after much searching and researching there is none to be found. I also thought it might be the fuel pump but I can here it coming on when I turn the key over. Before this issue when I would start the car cold it would not want to eccelerate untill I reved on the gas for a bit. Seems like that was possibly the beginning of the same problem. Any ideas?
Cjlloveless

The first thing we need to check is have the computer scanned for codes. If there are any codes please post the exact code numbers not code descriptions. The code will have a P followed by a four digit number. Also just because you can hear the fuel pump running doesnt mean that the pump is delivering the correct fuel pressure.

There were a ton of codes on the car but since someof them had been there for a long time I cleared them in hopes that only the ones causing the current issue would come back right away. Unfotunatly now I cant keep the car running long enough for them to come back on. I cant remember the exact codes but I can remember roughly what they said. 1 was something regarding the fuel being lean. Another one said something about cyliner 3 misfire (i think).

Cjlloveless
Then lets start by checking fuel pressure that cause a lean code and a no start if the fuel pressure was too low.

IS there anyway to do that without a fuel pressure gauge? Also the car does start everytime it will just quickly die out withing 5-10 seconds without pressure to the gas pedal.

Cjlloveless
No you cant check fuel pressure without a fuel pressure gauge. They rent fuel pressure gauges at auto zone you can also check fuel pressure without the car running.

I have rented a fuel pressure tester from a auto store but It does not seem like any of the connectors fit. Im not sure If I am connecting to the right thing but I think I am. Any idea on the location of this or If a standard test kit would have the correct adapter? There are two lines I was trying to connect it too. They both had ports that came off with caps that unscrew. One cap had a "H" and one had a "L".

Cjlloveless
The line that goes to fuel rail where the injectors plug in should be the pressure side. The return line should be to the rear of the fuel rail. Also usually the pressure line is always bigger then the return line.