LOSS OF POWER

2005 Kia Optima • 149,000 miles

When I crank my car it sputters and jumps and acts like it wants to die. When I put my car in reverse it will die and sometimes when I put it in drive it dies too. Finally I'm able to get it in drive and I start to accelerate but it does not want to go it sputters and jumps all the way to about 40 MPH then it will slowly pick up speed. I've changed the spark plugs cleaned the throttle body and put injector cleaner and gas treatment in it. Any help would be nice.
Mmt_1990

Is the check engine light on?
If so, please have the computer codes read at a local auto parts store. Post the codes here and I'll be able to aid you further.

Freemba
Yes the check engine light has been on since I bought the car a year ago but that's because of an o2 sensor

Mmt_1990
An O2 sensor can cause some of the problems that you are having (once it gets bad enough). So please post the computer code(s) here so that we can advise you of the step-by-step process for determining the O2 problem which may very well solve the other problems you have.
Meanwhile please check all of your vacuum lines for leaks and check the throttle body to see if it needs cleaning.

Freemba
OK so I went and had some codes pulled at auto zone and this is what I got. P0442 p0122 and p0320. I just changed the tps and put a new fuel cap on today and I'm still having the same trouble. Someone please help me.

Mmt_1990
Your P0320 refers to a failed ignition sensor. Attached is a picture of the sensors location. Often this is the cause of the type of problems you are having.

The P0442 is a Evaporative emission leak code. (Usuall associated with the charcoal canister ont he vehicle which stop gas fumes from entering the atmospheres. The most common cause for this code is a person not puttiing the gas cap on correctly (tightly sealing the gas tank).

P0122 is set when the TPS output is not in the 0.3v to 0.9v range at idle.

The ECU applies a 5v reference voltage to pin 5) then measures the voltage (pin 4). The actual reading is used as the idle position reference for the ECU. The ECU uses the TPS to adjust timing and injector pulse width.

The TPS is a variable resistor. The resistance changes according to throttle position. In the TPS housing is an idle position switch (grounds pin 2 when closed).

You need an OBD-II scanner or a voltmeter (pin 3 = +, pin 1 = gnd) of the TPS connector to set the TPS position.

The setup procedure is to loosen two screws slightly then rotate the TPS until the output is between 0.4 & 0.5v.

Tighten the screws. Verify that the voltage is correct then apply an epoxy spot to one screw head & TPS.

Freemba
The problem was an ignition coil grounding out.

Mmt_1990
How'd you find that? Was the sprak plug wire grounding or one of the small primary wires?

Freemba
In took my engine cover off and my car was running I saw the spark coming from the coil so I changed it and it fixed my problem. Thanks for all your help.

Mmt_1990