TUCSON CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

2005 Hyundai Tuscon • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 68,000 miles

My wife just bought a 2005 Hyundai Tuscon 2.7 4-cyl. With 68000 miles. Today she was pulling out onto a main road when she noticed the car sputter two or three times and then the check engine light came on. What could be the cause? She's afraid she just bought a lemon. Help!
Hodgined

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Have the computer scanned for code/s-you have a problem within the engine management system that caused the CEL to turn on-This is your starting point of diagnosis,finding out what's going on.

Other forums I've looked at suggest possibly bad speed sensors in transmission or something to that effect. Thoughts?

Hodgined
The two most common causes for Tucson stumbling/stalling (that I've seen) are corroded fuel rails and faulty throttle position sensors. On the 2005 models they had aluminum fuel rails that were prone to oxidizing and causing stumbling/stalling issues. The TPS sensors would fail without setting a check engine light but were distinguished by the vehicle stalling when coming to a stop. With 68k you should also suspect the plugs/ignition system.

Hyundaitech