ENGINE LIGHT, ON FOR OVER A YEAR

2005 Hyundai Tuscon

Computer problem
2005 Hyundai Tuscon 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 101000 miles

I took this car to Pep Boys for the engine light. They told me the code suggested the catalytic converter, both front and rear needed to be replace. I thought it might be a worn gasket from the gas cap. But who knows. Supposedly, the catalytic converter should last the life of the car. Any suggestions?
Garzzz45

Hi daytona53. Welcome to the forum. Where did you hear a catalytic converter always lasts the life of the car? If that were true, the parts stores wouldn't have dozens of them in stock. For a 6 cylinder engine, you should have a left and a right converter. Each one will have an oxygen sensor ahead of it and after it. The front ones determine if the fuel / air mixture is correct. The second one monitors the converter efficiency or how well it is working. It is more common to have a failed oxygen sensor, but the diagnostic fault code will specify that. A defective converter will set a different fault code.