TURN SIGNAL FLASHER RELAY

2005 Dodge Ram • 4.7L V8 2WD Automatic • 60,000 miles

I upgraded my tail light bulbs to LEDs but I need to upgrade my flasher relay to a LED compatible one but can't seem to find its location under the dash where the manual tells you and people online have to many differrent opinions, maybe you can better direct me to where its located and what part # is compatible with LEDs.
David Couick

I haven't heard of a retrofit flasher. If there is such a thing, that would eliminate the only benefit of the electronic flasher which is indicating when a bulb is burned out, although LEDS don't burn out, so that feature isn't needed. A much simpler way to overcome the issue is to add a resistor in parallel with each LED assembly. The electronic flashers work by sensing current flow. When a bulb is burned out, (or when they're replaced with LEDS that draw almost no current), the current flow goes down and the flasher flashes real fast to tell you. Adding a resistor results in increased current flow that will keep the flasher happy.

A typical 1956 or 3056 bulb draws about one amp of current. Using Ohm's Law, that means they have about 12 ohms of resistance. A 12 - 15 ohm resistor should do the job. It should be a 10 watt resistor, which is pretty big, but you could probably get by with a 5 watt since the bulb isn't lit up all the time. You could even experiment with a larger resistance value, say 20 ohms. If that works, the higher the value, the lower the power rating needs to be.