DODGE NEON COOLANT PROBLEM

2005 Dodge Neon • 260,000 miles

My car was overheating. I got it home and changed the thermostat and pressure cap. I decided to run plain water in the cooling system until I could see that all is well. The good news is that it is no longer overheating, but I have pink foam building up in the cooling system now, (still no coolant, only water). Could transmission fluid be making it's way into the coolant somehow? Doesn't make sense to me, but I know they both run through the radiator. What would cause the pink foam?
Bullwinkle

Check the transmission fluid. If the fluid is pink (milky pink) as well, it means the cooling system and transmission fluid cooler (inside radiator) has a leak resulting in fluid and coolant mixing.

What was the color of the coolant?

Sounds like the transmission cooler compartment on the radiator is leaking-

The coolant appeared to look fine. Not milky, not watery looking.

Bullwinkle
Check the transmission fluid if its pinkish color

The transmission fluid in the car appears to be the same color and viscosity as the brand new fluid I have. Nothing I see indicates water in the transmission fluid. Someone suggested if there is not sufficient coolant flow due to a clogged radiator I could get pink foam. Does that make sense?

Bullwinkle
No it doesn't make no sense-Do a radiator flush and put coolant and drive on-

I'll give it a try. Still kind of scary though. Thanks for the help.

Bullwinkle