OVERHEATING ENGINE

2005 Dodge Magnum • 116,000 miles

The engine overheats and air gets into the coolant system and I can't find a solution. To date I have had the thermostat changed 3 times - a new rad was installed (that wasn't needed) - the head gaskets have been done (only to find that wasn't needed) - the water pump and timing belt have been changed (not sure if the water pump needed to be replaced) - the problem still exists and I have had 3 mechanics do work on the engine to the tune of alot of money - at idle the temp gauge stays around the middle - under load or driving a little while the gauge goes up almost to the red - while driving and I turn the heat on in the car, the temp gauge will go down to about 3/4 - the water system boils and flows out the overflow container - both fans will kick on when hot and I am hoping the thermostat opens - there has been 2 pressure tests done on it and no leaks detected - as I mentioned I am in the hole for $1700 so far and no change to the problem - my current mechanic is a great guy and he has put alot of his own time into this repair as well and he feels bad that he can't solve the problem - any ideas as to what the mechanics may have missed?
Willwells41

Cooling system air bleeding proceedure followed?

Docfixit
Yes, it was and still no results

Willwells41
What engine? Cooling fans work at two speeds make sure they go to high speed

Docfixit
It's the 3.5 L engine and yes the fans work fine - I am currently considering taking it down again and sending heads to the machine shop

Willwells41
Make sure fans have TWO speeds just comming on will not cool enough need to go to higher speed that is why when heater is on Temp drops. Before pulling heads have a block test done for presense of CO in coolant. Can get a test kit at NAPA. If no CO then heads O.K.

Docfixit