T&C, 3.8L, CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR LOCATION

2005 Chrysler Town and Country • 35,500 miles

I have my van opened up right now and having a hard time locating the crankshaft position sensor to replace it. Possibly have any photos or diagrams to help? Or GPS directions.L
JE3.8T&C

It is located on the transmission bell housing below the exhaust cross over pipe. I looked for a picture and couldn't find one. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. I did some intensive searching with my digital camera and found it tucked in that uncomfortable position under the exhaust.

I am trying to solve a mystery though. It continues to smell like it is flooded after several seconds of trying to start. On occasion it will start right up, but mostly it winds several times before starting.

I have changed the o2 sensors, the EGR, the Crank shaft sensor, put in new spark plugs and still no reslove. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

JE3.8T&C
If you are sure it is flooding, check the temp sensor. This sensor tells the computer how rich or lean to make the fuel mixture based on ambient temp and coolant temp. If it is telling the computer it is -40 degrees, the computer will tell the injectors to dump fuel to the engine.

By the way, isn't the crank sensor fun to get to (lol).

I didn't know my arm could bend in so many directions. I decided to take out the battery and swung the battery tray toward the hood so that I had more elbow room.

I will look into the temp sensor. Each time you start the engine and it has to "wind" up before starting, immediately after it smells like excess gasoline. When I was under the hood yesterday, I took the air filter box off so I could find the Cam Shaft Sensor and the same odor drifted out of the air intake.

Thanks for your help. Cannot tell you how much it is appreciated. I bought this van thinking it was a good deal, but I have ended up with a lot of work instead. Hopefully as I knock each one off, it will become a better vehicle!

Jeff

JE3.8T&C
Jeff,
I'm glad to help. Don't worry. You'll get it fixed. Then you'll know that you have a good vehicle. Let me know if you have other questions. Thats why we're here.

I do have one major issue I am trying to solve. I realize that it could be several different things. Ideas are helpful though.

We have always had a fill up issue. We can only put about 1 to 1-1/2 gallons of fuel at a time before the neck fills up and shuts off the pump. It seems to be getting worse. It has been mentioned that there is a "burp" valve on the burp tube up next to the top of the filler neck. They said that if I can get to that and clean it out with carb cleaner that it should be okay then.

I have read online where there is a splash back issue with these vans and other related Chryslers. Have you heard of this and any common fixes?

Thanks Again for your time.

JE3.8T&C
Honestly, there is a vent tube that runs from the tank along side of the filler tube (under vehicle). They are mostly steel, but they have a rubber hose that attaches the steel to the tank. If that pluggs or gets damaged, air can't escape from the tank when you feel it. As a result, the gas can't enter and comes back out shutting the pump. WHAT A PAIN. It most likely takes you 20 minutes to get 5 gallons of gas. That vent is most likely where the problem is. I don't know that carb cleaner will clean it, but it is worth a try.

Thanks again! I think that I will take a look at the fuel neck and hope there is a vent on that tube. Look for any blockage on that vent line and try to clean it out.

I really appreciate your input and will let you know what I find.

Enjoy the day!

JE3.8T&C
Just thought I would let you know that I have changed the Air temp sensor and the cam shaft sensor. Neither one worked on the engine starting issue.

I have talked with a friend that works for Dodge. His mechanic thinks it may be a valve in the tank or the vapor canister solenoid. I am taking it to them the Saturday after this. Hopefully I will be able to continue to get gas into it until then.

I changed the shocks last night and a new sound (rattle) is coming from the back right side as I drive. I lifted the rear passenger side wheel well by hand and could hear a rattle also. Not sure what It is. If you have ideas or thoughts, would appreciate it.

I am guessing a loose bolt to the springs or a cross member? Maybe a bushing?

Thanks. I'll let you know what the guys find out next weekend.

JE3.8T&C
Let me know.