CHEVY - STARTING IS INTERMITTENT; RADIO WILL RESET

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe • 125,000 miles

2005 Chevy Tahoe - Starting is intermittent; radio will reset when trying to start vehicle. Starting is getting worse, symptoms - turn key nothing, turn key power to dash then when starting you hear click like a dead battery. Then next try - vehicle starts. Starter Solenoid?
Jpesnell

Check to make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight. It sounds like a loose connection.

You have a loss of power supply from somewhere. Test the battery itself first and then look at all the connections.

Wrenchtech
Battery is fairly new; connections are good. Just went out to try again - turn key to accessory. Interior powers up. Turn key further to start, everything goes dead. Turn key back to accessory and wait 10-20 seconds power returns to interior. Try again, sounds like dead battery or solenoid not engaging. Finally started and started 15 time in a row (until I stopped trying).

Jpesnell
Listen to me. You have a loss of power supply somewhere.

Wrenchtech
This sounds like a bad starter. Next time it wont start try tapping on the starter with a hammer and see if it starts. The armature in the starter is bad and when it stops on the bad spot thats when it wont start.

Cadieman
Fair enough. I'll reinspect. Battery, Alternator, starter. Anywhere else you might suggest? Thanks

Jpesnell
Cadieman. What would a starter have to do with knocking the radio out?

Wrenchtech
Could the power drain at the starter cause the radio reset?

Jpesnell
No, there is a bad connection somewhere.

Wrenchtech
Does the radio rest to 1200 and you lose the preset channels?

Cadieman
Page 1 of 2