ENGINE FAN DOES NOT TURN ON UNTIL 235F

2005 Chevrolet Suburban • 70,000 miles

Our Suburban is not turning on the engine cooling fans until well above 202 degrees, which is where the low speed fan turns on. We have an OBD2 reader (scangauge) which tells us the engine temps. At low speeds, especially towing our pop up camper, the temp climbs up to 220F, and the fans do not turn on. The dashboard temperature gauge (analog) shows under 210, even when the scangauge shows 220. The first time we noticed the temp above 220, we tried to turn on the A/C, but the A/C would not turn on (it just blinked on the button).

When we catch it and turn on the A/C, the fans will turn on and the engine temp will come down. We tested the breakers, they all came up working. We pulled the temp sensor while the engine was running, and the fans immediately kicked up to high. Frankly, my husband and I are stumped - I can't find good answers online (hard to search through all the forums), and we're not sure what to try next. Our transmission guy (we just had a tranny cooler installed to help with towing in the mountains) was the one who told us the fans should come on at 202 - he was stumped and suggested a memory wipe of the on board computer (about $150). We're hoping to find a less expensive solution. Would a new sensor help?

Thanks for any help or ideas.
Jennyincolo

The PCM commands the high speed fans ON under the following conditions: ? Engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 104.25°C (220°F).
? A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds approximately 1824 kPa (265 psi).
? When certain DTCs set.

At idle and very low vehicle speeds the cooling fans are only allowed to increase in speed if required. This insures idle stability by preventing the fans from cycling between high and low speed.
A tech 2 really needs to be hooked up to t his to see if the gauge is out of calibration. There are three relays sas well you might try cleaning the ground for this as well as having the coolant temp sender checked, it may have high ohms and not working right.

Thanks - I'll take a look at these things and try them out.

Jennyincolo
We've done some checking - and here is what we found.

1. The gauge on the dash is not out of calibration. We are using a Scangauge tool (OBD2 reader) to determine the engine temperature, and it matches up with the analog gauge on the dash.
2. Do not think the grounds need cleaning because when we unplug the coolant temp sender, the engine automatically kicks all the fans up to high.
3. We manually checked all the relays - they respond when we hook up current.
4. We think the computer is not turning on the fans at the right time. For example, we were driving home after a weekend camping and got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic downtown after a football game. We noticed that the engine temp was 220, so we turned on the A/C. The fans turned on, then immediately kicked up to high (they were not on at all while we were idling in traffic) and the temperature came down. The engine somehow did not "know" to turn on the fans in this situation, even though the temp was high.

Our transmission guy suggested that we get the computer reprogrammed at a dealer. Is there any other solution we can try before shelling out $150 to have that done?

Thanks for the diagram - very helpful!

Jennyincolo
The only thing I can think of to do would be to change the coolant sensor, maybe it's screwed up or they have comeout with an updated one. I really can't think of anything else to help out. It seems from your description everything works like relays, etc except not letting pcm turn on at the correct time. Teh only other thing I could think of would be to follow the pcm and see if any wires like the blue andgreen as you have the diagram may be hitting something and not letting relays connect to turn fan on.

Thanks again for the feedback - we will look at the coolant temp sensor and then head to the dealer for a computer check (if that doesn't work). Appreciate the feedback - looks like we're at the end of the line for things we can try here at home.

Jennyincolo
Well make sure that you look at the elcetrical lines if they just partially gorund out it will tell the computer that everything is ok. That includes the wires to the coolant sensor