CHEVY POWER WINDOWS

2005 Chevrolet Malibu

2005 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

Have a 2005 Chevy Malibu. Main/driver side power window switch no longer working. Only front passenger power window works; the other three power windows do not work. Started a month or so ago, where I could only put the windows up and down periodically. For example, would have to play with the switch (five buttons – four windows and child lock) in the drivers side front (up, down, etc.), Sometimes for 20-30 minutes. Finally, it would “catch” and I could then power up/down all four windows from the front driver side. The issue got progressively worse, taking a half-day or so, before it would catch and I could use the windows. Now, the only power window I can use is the front passenger, and only when using the switch on the front passenger door. No other windows or power window switches, apart from the front passenger, is working. I thought it might be the main power window switch (five-button part), so I bought a used one on E-Bay Motors. I put the switch in, but still does not work. I’m not much of a mechanic, so I didn’t know how to test the replacement power window switch that I purchased. I was thinking that maybe that is still my problem and that I should bite the bullet and buy a new one, but didn’t want to do so if that isn’t really my problem? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Joecinohio

Need to start checking voltages. Buy a teslight for quick voltage checks. It is either a bad switch or motor. Test for power to the master switch then go up and down on the switch buttons. U should have power on each button going up and down testing the wires. Remove the other switchs they should have power and power going up and down also.A easy test for a bad motor is to hold the window switch to go down and bang on the panel with your hand.A bad motor will start working.

Cadieman
Out of curiousity as I have this same exact issue, how could a bad driver side motor affect the rear windows? Wouldn't the power going thorugh the motor be "passive" and carry on through the wiring to the rear windows?

My issue started shortly after my battery died and replaced it. That couldn't possibly have anything to do with it could it?

Spreadhead100
A schematic might help you diagnose this. Here you go.

Rivermikerat
Have u tryed to check the motor by holding the switch to go down and bang on the panel?

Cadieman
Well, it is defintiely not the switch. I purchased a new one from Auto Zone, installed it, and nothing happened.

As far as the motor, I have held down the switch and banged on the door panel. However, nothing happened when I did that.

Spreadhead100
See if the motor is getting power when you click the switch. If not, trace the circuit out to see where power stops. Start at the switch, then go to the relay(s), and then the power source. Etc.

Rivermikerat