DRIVER SIDE HIGH BEAM BULB REPLACEMENT.

2005 BMW X3 • 6 cylinder AWD Automatic • 60,000 miles

2005 bmw x3 driver side high beam bulb replacement. It's different than passenger side. There's an air duct coming out of the lamp housing where you would expect the high beam bulb access door to be. Anyone know the trip?
Pdonnan

The airbox needs to be temoved to access the bulb, it is kind of a funky design.

Dr. Hagerty
Thank you so much for the help Doc. Not the weirdest arrangement. I tool the starter out of a Jag but couldn't get it out of the engine compartment. Called a Jag specialist and he said I had to drop the tie rod and spread the front wheels and drop it out the bottom. : ) That's some engineering. You just wouldn't figure a light bulb should be that hard to replace. Thanks again.

Pdonnan
All good mate

Dr. Hagerty
I replaced the driver's side high beam bulb today. It sounded like a ridiculous amount of work, but the whole job took max 10 minutes. The air cleaner box must be removed. Unsnap the lid & take the filer out. Loosen the large clamp on the duct coming out the rear. Only 2 bolts in the fender well to remove (obvious) on the side of the air cleaner box. A screw driver will release the three places the air duct to the center of the radiator area. The air duct going towards the headlamp stays attached to the air cleaner box. It easily removes upward. It will reveal the high beam bulb door just like the passenger side. Unsnap the bulb door cover. Grab the Bakelite plug at the bulb and jiggle as you pull it our (very little resistance). As usual, DON'T TOUCH THE NEW BULB. Reverse the procedure and it only takes 10 minutes total start to finish. The air filer box just straddles a ridge under it. The two bolts hold everything in place. Be sure to re tighten the clamp on the large air duct out the back.

Pdonnan
You are now an expert in changing bulbs!

Dr. Hagerty