HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT IN A XC 90

2004 Volvo XC90 • 120,000 miles

I have two boots that had tears on the rear drive shaft of my volvo xc90. Due to the torn boots I want to change out the CV joints. According to the parts houses you have to buy the whole rear axle. You just can't buy the CV joints. So how do you remove the axle from the rear transmission? I am used to that you pry from the axle to the housing of the transmission and usually a quick snap and it pops out. I am used to where most axles have a spring clip that just compresses and lets the axle come free. But I don't know if this is how volvo works. Thanks for any help you can give.

Also I have the wheel side free already.
Elktrasker

There are special sockets and holder required for this operation. Not for someone to do in there driveway.

Removing the rear propeller shaft

Note! If the same propeller shaft is to be reused mark the propeller shaft CV joint in relation to the flange.

Remove the screws from the joint. Use counterhold 999 7057 Counterhold See: Tools and Equipment 999 7057 Counterhold.
Leave one screw in place by a few threads for safety.

For cars with a vibration damper on the Active on Demand Coupling flange
Use counterhold 951 2940 Counterhold See: Tools and Equipment 951 2940 Counterhold.

Remove the screws from the propeller shaft center bearing.
Slacken off the screws in the support for the center bearing on the right-hand side a few turns. Fully remove the screws on the left-hand side
Let the center support hang down so that the propeller shaft can be angled.
Remove the screw from the joint.
Press the shaft joints together, detach it from the flange.
Remove the shaft.

Installation

Note! For tightening torques, see Specifications See: Automatic Transmission/Transaxle Specifications Mechanical Tightening Torque.