VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT FUEL PRESSURE PROBLEM

2004 Volkswagen Passat • 170 miles

Hi my vw passat 1.9TDi wont rev over 2000RPM and also it ticks over without a problem for about 10mins then for no reason it will just cut its self out then wont re-start its not even trying please help its driving me bonkers? Ive just replaced the crankshaft sensor on a hunch but has'nt fixed the problem?
Toma1961

Have the fuel pressure checked.

Thank you very much for your reply, what does having the fuel pressure checked entail, how do you check it, thank you.

Toma1961
You will have to get a fuel pressure test kit. Any Advance Auto or Auto Zone has a loaner tool program and will loan you one to use. You can ask them for the fuel pressure spec as well.
You locate the fuel rail and look for a schrader or other test port valve which is there to hook up a test pressure gauge. The kit will come with adapters. Make sure you let the car sit a few hours after running to bleed off fuel pressure as fuel injected system s run very high fuel pressure and will spray fuel everywhere if the fuel system is opened anywhere. You can do a bleeding procedure but the pressure generally drops to zero in an hour or two. Still be careful when removing the valve and doing the test. Getting a Haynes manual for either aforementioned parts store wil come in handy to and will always be good for future reference.

Thank you very much your time and advice is much appreciated.

Toma1961
You are very welcome and if you ever need anything. Else come back and we will be here to help you. Thanks
Dr. C