I NEED TO CHANGE THE CRANKSHAFT ON MY 2.5 ON AN 04 IS THIS THE SORT OF JOB THAT SOMEONE WITH LIMITED MECHANICAL KNOWLEDGE COULD TAKE ON SUCCESSFULLY ?

2004 Vauxhall Vivaro • 167,000 miles

I need to change the crankshaft on my Vivaro can't really afford the £4.500 the garage wants to do the repair so am having to do it myself. I'm not sure though if this is the sort of job a novice DIYer could take on successfully. I do have some mechanical knowledge and am not intimidated by the thought of this. What do you think?
Peterjdryan

Replacing the crankshaft require the engine be removed and totally taken apart. It is a big job. If you plan to do it yourself, I strongly recommend getting a GOOD repair manual that has step by step instructions and pictures to identify parts.

For me to try to explaine this via the internet allows too much room for error and would require that I write a book. (Lol)

Definitely not. This requires extensive experience in both engine repair and engine machine shop measurements. An simple incorrect measurement could cause engine failure.

Wrenchtech
If I were you get someone that's been there before-its not that easy there's a lot of procedures involved can get very complicated as you go-My opinion-not under estimating your competence

Just wanted to say a big thank you to you all for your replies. I do heed your warnings but its looking as though I have no choice but to repair it myself. Is it possible to buy a second hand block, complete with crankshaft, and go down that route? I know it means still having to take the engine apart but surely this requires less technical skills and is the sort of thing that a haynes manual would cover? Would appreciate your thoughts on this idea one last time. THANKS AGAIN. Peter

Peterjdryan
Peter, If you plan to do it yourself, check out manuals at the local parts store or a book store. Review them to confirm that there is a section in them for engine overhaul. Make sure it lists your specific engine. Can you do it? Take your time, keep all parts seperated and labled, take pictures before removing parts. If you do this, follow the manual to the letter, and have a some mechanical ability, you may get away with it. I wish you were near so I could help.

Listen. I have no access on line to manuals for this vehicle, but I would be happy to help you as you work through things. I will do my best to advise, but remember, I'm not there so I will need pictures and explaniations of what you need.

Good luck, and remember what the other guys said, it isn't an easy job.

Joe, Thanks for your advice. One of the reasons I'm having to do it myself is because I'm in spain and need my vehicle to get back to England. The other reason is I can only have my van here for up to six months, ( not sure what happens after six months but I'm guessing its a fine of somesort ). I will keep you in mind if I stuck, thanks again. Peter

Peterjdryan
Take care and good luck. Let me know if I can help.