CAN A DUPLICATED KEY CAUSE A CAR TO BACKFIRE?

2004 Toyota Landcruiser • 55,600 miles

My car is a toyota landcruiser prado year 2004. Recently I broke my original key and had another one made locally. Since then my car has developed a backfiring. After reading your write up on backfiring, you stated
that ignation timing can cause backfiring from the inside. I have taken my car to toyota dealers but no one has a clue why it is behaving this way. I have not told them about the key please help am worried
Loise

If you normally get another key it wold have to go by the anti theft and the car runs so it's not the key. If it backfires, then you need to check compression and electrical things like a bad coil or wire. Any mechanic can do those. It could also be a bad spark plug.

If your broken key is on the same key chain as your new key, then this is not the problem. Or, to make sure, tape them TO each other to rule this out as a possibility.