THROTTLE VALVE SERVO FAILURE?

2004 Saturn L300 • 96,000 miles

Hello and THANKS for your time.

ok. Far from being a tech but I do a lot of my own repairs. Here is my situation.

car wouldn't start in morning. Turns over, no start. With key on, ticking sound from engine, sound is the throttle plate (butterfly valve) trying to open and then closing, a couple of times a second, ticktickticktick. Pressing the accelerator pedal has no affect on throttle position.

i bought an actron cp9125 code scanner, but it won't read any codes, just keeps saying "no link". Scanner works on a '97 ford.
so i'm thinking maybe the throttle position actuator failed? The throttle bore was pretty dirty, I sprayed it with cleaner but no luck.

i understand that the actuator isn't serviceable, so the whole unit would need to be replaced.

it's hard to tell what warning lights might be on, on the dash, but the check engine and the service engine (wrench icon on the saturn) lights stay lit when the key is left on. I don't know if they would go out if the car was running.

i've searched a little but didn't see this problem.

any help is appreciated,

TIA,

doug
Dwaters

What worries me is your code reader says no link if the throttle body assemble failed you should still be able to read codes in the ecm. If the code reader is good you have a wiring problem or a bad ecm.

YIKES!

THANKS much for the fast reply!

I've had no electrical problems before, this was out of the blue. I bought the car with 64,000 miles on it and have only replaced the fuel pump.
I was sooooo hoping for an easy fix. I guess I could just throw parts at it or. Better yet, I guess i'll have to get to a repair shop. I'm due for the timing belt anyway.

Thanks again for your time any expertise!

Dwaters
I have seen those ecms just go and the engine wont start and you cant talk to the ecms with a scan tool. If your going to take into a shop please let us know what they find.

THANKS, will do.

The local chevy dealer won't do the timing belt. The closest authorized saturn repair shop that will do the belt is about 50 mi away. I haven't checked with any local independent repair shops.

THANKS again!

Doug

Dwaters
A little info on that timing belt and the engine is its the same as the caddy catera model except the caddy one is mounted for a rear wheel drive application with a different intake. It takes a special tool to time it correctly.

Update ...

car started!!

i did a little more searching and came across a post that mentioned checking the controls B+ fuse underhood. i pulled it and there was a little corrosion, cleaned it and car started and i was able to pull codes.

6 codes read (in order) ....U2105, P1779, P1791, P0123, P0222, P0700

the scanner book has the P0xxx codes but not the P1xxx codes. it says the Uxxxx is a network comm code.

in a search i found this thread where someone had some similar codes,
http://www.2carpros.com/questions/saturn-l300-2001-saturn-l300-computer-error
the P1779, P1791 codes are explained.

should this be as easy as replacing appropriate sensors? and tcm? (fingers crossed)

thanks again for your help!!

doug

Dwaters
If you couldnt talk to the computer because of this corrossion issue then I would clear the codes and see which codes come back. Before you go chasing codes that were set by that corrossion. Clear the codes and let me know what codes come back and we will go from there.

I cleared the codes and nothing came back immediately after running the car for a minute, so I will drive it a bit.

On a another note. My battery felt really weak, it's 1 yr old and has been strong, and was strong yesterday while cranking it, key or lights haven't been left on.

Dwaters
Just drove around the block a few times and no codes. I'll drive some more and see what happens.

Thanks.

Dwaters
Your welcome keep me posted and have your battery and alternator tested.