BATTERY REPLACEMENT

2004 Pontiac Grand Am • 3.4L 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 140,000 miles

Would replacing my battery on my 04 Grand Am GT shut my stereo down? My owners manual states it has a passlock system, and when the key is removed from the ignition a little red light starts flashing on it. The manual also states that the stereo uses part of the VIN to be set, but being I bought this car used, I don't know which numbers to use. I tried the last 4 numbers of the VIN with no luck. Does anyone know how to reset my stereo once the battery is replaced or should it reset itself? If the latter is the case, maybe I have another problem then. It's a Monsoon stereo if that makes a difference. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Bensjets

So its not a stock stereo?

Yes it is. They put Monsoon stereos in the GT models. One of the perks of the GT.

Bensjets
Sorry Saturntech9. I may have misspelled the stereo name, but I'm close. Louie, if this is you, hello my ole friend. It's been a while. You really helped me when I owned a Saturn. You really know your stuff. Thanks for your help then and any help in the future.

Bensjets
The user name looks familar I have answered over 24,000 questions on here lol. You can get the radio unlock code if the radio locks from your dealer I used to unlock radios for people all the time for people when I worked for the saturn dealer.

Ok and thanks. I was hoping I wouldn't need to go to a dealer. Here where I live, they don't do anything for free, and they charge way too much for doing small things such as this. Take care my friend and I hope you and yours are safe and well. Thanks again.

Bensjets
You could try a memory saver that runs off a 9 volt battery saves radio stations etc while you unhook the battery.

Thanks for the suggestion my friend. Never heard of that one. I was thinking of hooking my 12 volt jumper pack/hot box to the battery cables just till I put the new battery in and rehook the cables to the new battery. This way there would always be current to the car. I think that in a way is what a memory saver does, but I'm just guessing on that. I will look into a memory saver though if for no other reason then to broaden my knowledge. If you see any problems on my way with the hot box, please give me a shout. Thanks again and I will let you know how I make out. I guess a memory saver is what places like Advance Auto uses when they replace batteries at their stores.

Bensjets
You could use those little alligator jumper leads I would worry about the positive and negative leads touching each other. Iam sure amazon or eBay has them.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will do just that. I was also worried about the ends touching each other and was going to wrap them well with electrical tape before trying my idea, but your suggestion makes more sense, and far more safer. A person can surely rely/count on your input. If my mind serves me well, I think you worked for Saturn for about 17 years. This as well as your other knowledge has always showed me that you really care about helping people. You have never steered me wrong. You will be rewarded one day for the good you do. Thanks again.

Bensjets
Your welcome anytime I worked for saturn about 16.5yrs close enough lol.I enjoy helping people I help out at my church plus sometimes fix missionarys cars the pastor of my church car and the pastor of another churches car. Plus I help out the members of my church with there cars. It brings real blessings to me but to me the real joy is to help out someone and share my gift of fixing things with everyone.I would go with the memory saver and get good battery for it like a duracell. Also I would never try to steer you wrong.