WHAT WOULD MAKE THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR RUN IN THE OFF POSITION

2004 Mercury Marquis • 73,000 miles

And delay speeds are out of whack on a 2004 mercury grand marquis? Also the automatic headlights turned on in daylight. I removed fuse #17 for the wipers and the headlights worked OK, and of course the wipers stopped running.
Bobbyfingers2001@yahoo.com

Clean battery terminals and clean grounds to engine, body etc. Do that first. Your ground int ehwiper motor may be bad or broken.

Yea. No, that would be wrong.

UPDATE: Earlier I had removed the fuse in order not to kill the blades or the motor, (also it was quite annoying) a couple of days later I was driving and it started to, you guessed it, rain, so I pulled over and popped the fuse back in and to my amazement. It was back to normal. It has been 2 weeks now, and no problems. I spoke to several other techs that I had worked with and they are all scratching their heads (presumably over the issue and not psoriasis. Lol)

This is probably an electronics issue. Like the electronics that control your wiper for one. I had a Chrysler vehicle years ago that when it was dry would run like it should until it rained, then it would drive with no power. The problem was the computer was mounted in the air cleaner and when it rained, water infiltrated the computer and screwed it up until it dried. I wold suspect something very similar. Or a bad ground on one of the modules.