SHIFTING PROBLEMS (MANUAL TRANSMISSION)

2004 Mazda 3 • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 105,000 miles

I drive an '04 Mazda 3 manual 5 speed
The problem started with 3rd gear, it would occasionally go out of gear, requiring it to be re shifted into 3rd, then it got to where the stick wouldn't stay in 3rd, but could be held there and driven in gear
Now you can not shift into third, the stick will go, but as soon as you start letting the clutch out the gears grind
The same exact process as above, which occurred over a few months time, happened to 4th gear within a weeks time

So now I have 1st 2nd 5th and R, drivable, but barely

Any help would be greatly appreciated here,

Matt
Mattkguns

Syncros worn and bulk ring need to remove tear down and replace

Docfixit
What is a bulk ring?
I understand syncros, but do they fit the popping out of gear symptom?

Mattkguns
Most deffinatly bulk ring accepts gear and holds gear in position

Docfixit
Another symptom is that you can't put it into gear, even with double clutching, so does that point to something linkage related?

Mattkguns
I have this *identical* problem. I bought the car new in 2004. Needed a new clutch after 30k (and i'm very nice to it). Long story short I'm using 1st, 2nd, and 5th 7 years later. Did you come to a solution for this?

Mazdadave
In the end I just bought a "new" used transmission with 60k, and swapped that in, new clutch and friction plate.
About a thousand dollars later and I had third and fourth again, and a clutch that should last another 100k
thats unfortunate about your clutch at 30, hopefully it was covered?
Mine lasted 100k, like I said above, and still mightve had another 10-15, but it was awful close

sorry I couldnt help more.

Mattkguns