- CLANK WHEN SHIFTING INTO REVERSE

2004 Mazda 3

Noises problem
2004 Mazda 3 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 112000 miles

Hi All,

Every morning I start my car and when I shift it into reverse there is a loud clank from the engine area.

Every time, after the car has sat for awhile, it clanks when shifting into reverse. Only sometimes does it clank when shifting into drive.

I brought it into the mechanic thinking it was something to do with the transmission. He said the transmission is fine and that the noise is coming from the " drivetrain spacer" and it'll cost $500 to fix.

The mechanic said that fixing it is optional, which surprised me because I thought he'd love to take my money. : )

So, here are my questions. What does this spacer actually do? And, should I get it fixed? Will something wear out faster if I don't fix it? Will it affect performance, fuel efficiency, safety, etc?

thx.
-Trev
Tmadge

Hi
Never heard of drive line spacer have you considered a second opinion? Only thing can think of maybe trans to engine mount see diagram

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_476.jpg

Ask mech if that is what he means
Thanks for donate

Docfixit