KIA SPECTRA POWER STEERING PROBLEM

2004 Kia Spectra • 97,000 miles

I live in Washington State so it's very cold outside right now. I park my car outside so this may be a factor. When I start up my car, everything is fine. I can let my car warm up or I can just drive it away. When I start driving it though, I hear this loud screeching noise coming under my hood. I went to my mechanic and he said that they are my belts. So he tighten power steering, water pump and alternator belt. Also he changed my power steering fluid too. My car doesn't make this sound all the time, but it has done it three times when I was driving to work in the past ten minutes. It's very bad because I can hear the screeching noise and so can other people. Are my belts going bad, power steering going out, my pulleys or belt tensioner that need to be changed or is my problem all the above? I also had this problem during the summer time, so this is just not happening; but I'm finding out that the problem is more common when it's cold outside.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for the help!

Airforcefreak10

I would have the belts replaced with good quality belts. They are worn out. Once they squeel, they are stretched and will break if they are tightened.

Thank you for the advice, I'll tell my mechanic that I want the repair done. I'll keep you updated if I hear improvements when the belt gets changed. Thank you again for your help!

Airforcefreak10
Good luck

roy