IF I HAVE A PROBLEM CONTROLLING STEERING, ISN'T IT A SAFETY ISSUE?

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 93,000 miles

I recently traded a car in for a 2004 Jeep grand Cherokee limited, the dealership who sold it to me said the steering is fine and not a safety issue. Yet I'm not able to control the steering sometimes, like no control. I took it back and told them the problems and I think it is a safety issue they should have fixed, there mechanics say its fine. So are they responsible for fixing it, or is it my problem to fix? Speaking and showing other mechanics, they say it is a safety issue and they should have fixed it before selling it. The problem is I bought this car as is, but I brought it back within the time frame allowed for used cars. So where and how do you know if your getting right info or not? They refuse to fix it, I just want to know if I have any ground to stand on?
Wshazbot62

Take to dealer there was a recall on the steering gear

Docfixit
The only recall I can find is 2005 and up jeep wranglers. Can't find anything on 2004 grand Cherokee? Is there a specific web site to find recalls? I found a couple, still nothing on my model and yr. I don't dought your expertise, I just want to be sure. Thank you so much. I don't have $ to donate, but I could make you a dream catcher? I'm disabled and I make them when I can. Thanks again

Wshazbot62
Can be found on NHTSA site campain No. 03V07900but onlt affected 286 vehicles from manfacture date 2003 01 07 to 2003 01 29 check date on door jam

Docfixit
Well after doing some calling to DaimlerChrysler, my jeep is only involved in 1 recall and that's the heated seats issue. I'm really bummed, the steering recall and what it says the car will do if affected. And it does what there saying, but they said not my vin#. And the dealership still says its not a safety issue, I just don't get how they can say that. There are times when I feel like I can't control the steering, I really can't turn sometimes without a tug of war with it. To me that is a safety issue, but I guess it's my problem to fix. Since the car is also running like crap as far as the idle being all over the place, so the dealership has offered to put it on there $100.00 an hr diagnostic machine for free. And if it's something really expensive, and they refuse to fix it they are offering to find me another car. I did months of research just to find what I wanted, thought a dealership like Mercedes wouldn't sell a vehicle they wouldn't stand behind. They care more about Mercedes then any other brand they sell. My big mistake. Thanks for all your help, you helped me a lot. Again I'm sorry I can't afford to donate to you, you deserve it for sure. All I can offer is a dream catcher? Thanks again!

Wshazbot62
Call National Highway Traffic Safety Administration explain problem see if they can provide advise

Docfixit
Thank you so much Docfixit, I wrote to them. I'm not so good on the phone. I also got the dealership to bring it in for the idle problem, had to go to another shop. The other shop found my battery cable connector was basically disintegrated and bouncing on and off the battery, said lucky didn't fry alt or whole electrical system. Also something dealership should have caught and fixed. Plus they reported the steering is acting strange, dealership still won't fix it. It's running better, still not giving up on steering problem. Thank you once again for all your help, I turned 50 today and I feel like the cars acting. Lol Thanks again

Wshazbot62
The fact you bought it as is, is the issue. The only recourse you have is if there is frame damage. Any other repairs fall on you.

That maybe true in some cases, it also depends on the dealership and the person who bought the car. I came on here for advice about the laws, and Docfixit gave me a lot of great advice that helped me resolve other issues with the car. So I found out more about what my rights are, they didn't have to fix anything I know that. But, some just eat it and some stand up for what they believe in and fight. They may not have fixed the steering "yet", but I did get them to fix and spend another $700.00 on fixing other problems. So sometimes I guess it's all about the parties involved. So thanks Roy, but I like Docfixit

Wshazbot62