BRAKE LIGHTS

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 110,000 miles

The two bottom brake lights work as long as the lights are not on. When the parking lights are on, the two large lights go completely dark. I have checked all the fuses and I have replaced all the bulbs in all three lights. There are a couple of other electrical quirks as well. The tire monitors are off and the seatbelt light stays on all the time. All I really care about is the brake lights.
Redneckpen

MY BESTUS BUDDY'S WIFE HAS A 2000, DID HAVE TAIL LIGHT/ TURN SIGNAL ISSUES.

THE BULB HOLDERS TWIST INTO THE FIXTURE ON THE REAR LIGHTS.

IF YOU EXAMINE THEM WELL THERE ARE FLAT BRASS/ STEEL CONTACTS IN SLOTS SORTA IN A CIRCULAR PATTERN ON THE EDGE OF THE HOLDERS--THEY MATE WITH A SIMILAR SURFACE ON THE LIGHT HOUSING

WE DID SOME SWAPPING AROUND OF "TWISTY HOLDERS" AND FOUND THAT THERE ARE SMALL CONTACTS (A TINY TAB THINGEE!) ON THE HOLDER THAT PROTRUDE OUT

WE SLIGHTLY (SLIGHTLY. BE GENTLE!) BENT THEM OUT A LITTLE MORE SO THEY WOULD PRESS HARDER ON THE FLAT CONTACT SURFACES. WE ALSO LIGHTLY SANDED ALL CONTACT SURFACES. AND WHERE WE COULDN'T. SCRATCHED THE FLAT SURFACES UP WITH A POCKET KNIFE TO MAKE 'EM SHINY. ON THE HOLDERS AND ON THE FIXTURES

. JUST FOR "INSURANCE", WE APPLIED A THIN COAT OF DIELECTRIC GREASE ON ALL CONTACT SURFACES (AVAILABLE AT A PARTS STORE, SORT LOOKS LIKE A TUBE OF SILICONE GASKET). IT'S GOOD TO HAVE IT AROUND FOR ANY ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR YOU TAKE LOOSE

ALL IS GOOD NOW!

YOUR TURN. RETURN WITH A GRIN!