WHY AINT IT STARING

2004 Chrysler Sebring • 130,000 miles

My car had been turning of when you would stop at a red light or when you went up a hill and stops at the top of hill it would turn off and wouldn't start back for 1 to 2 mins and the other day it stopped at a red light like someone turned key off so I changed cam shaft position sensor still nothing got auto zone to check and it said cam. Shit pos. But I just put new one on so unplugged battery and plunged it back up and now auto zone says it saying nothing is wrong. Test ignition coil on just one pole and their was no spark so I put new one on and still no spark but I smelt gas will trying to start it and I didn't smell gas with old ignition coil plz give me answers
Workinman

You've introduced some more problems by randomly replacing parts and it sounds like that is part of the problem. Was the battery disconnected or run dead shortly before the original stalling problem started?

No the battery was fine

Workinman
Also I still have the old ignition coil hooked up I just used the new one to see if it was the problem and since the car didn't start I dis not buy new one the car is trying to start but it won't turn over like its not getting fire

Workinman
Also the engine light is on and it sometimes flashes when trying to start it and took off cover of timing belt and its not turning but if the spark plugs are not getting spark to crank motor the trimming belt turn

Workinman
You have something that failed in the timing belt whether it is the belt, tensioner, pulleys or the belt broke.

You need a shop to help you with this repair.

Ok let me ask this would the timing belt not turning cause the ignition coil not to spark

Workinman
No, it has to do with the belt failing for a reason.

Absolutely. You need signals from the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor for the Engine Computer to turn on the automatic shutdown (ASD) relay which powers the ignition coil and injectors. You didn't state which engine you have but whether it has a distributor that turns with the camshaft or it has a separate camshaft position sensor, no signal will be coming from it if the timing belt broke. Some engines are "interference" engines too which means if the timing belt broke or jumped more than three teeth, a valve job and head gasket will be needed too. At 130,000 miles the timing belt is overdue to be replaced if it wasn't already.

The motor is a 2.4L 16valve duel head and if their is something wrong with timing it will not send a signal to the ignition coil to spark.

Workinman
I think you have the right idea but there's more to it. The crankshaft position sensor signals tell the Engine Computer which piston is coming up on the compression stroke so it knows which spark plug to fire and when. The camshaft position sensor signal tells the computer to synchronize the injector pulses to coincide with the opening of the intake valves.

The reason neither the ignition coils or the injectors will work is the ASD relay is not turning on. That happens when the signal from either sensor is missing.