DOME LIGHT/CHIME ISSUE

2004 Chevrolet Silverado • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 138,000 miles

Have a 2002 Chevy Cav no power to dome/map lights and chime for keys left in ignition not chiming. The fuse is ok, checked it and radio is working (on same circuit), the dial to turn up light intensity and light works for the dash, but not dome. We tested the sockets, no power to any light in dome area. Just stopped working a week ago. I see many threads about dome lights staying on for this type of car, not off. If the door switches were bad, then the override dial on the dash should turn them on. I am baffled, there is some other relay or circuitry in there and so far, I can't find it. Thanks!
Natural_lawn

The schematics should answer your question. The Body Control Module supplies the power to all the components that are not functioning.

Thank you for the schematics. I checked all components, nothing seemed to be a problem. However, I ran across another forum answer. Believe me, I scoured every possible site (wore out my search engine lol). The grounding cable that attaches to the plate holding the battery was corroded at the point of connection to the plate. We removed the battery, cleaned it up, and zowie! We had dome lights, chimes and a bottle of champagne!

Thinking back, it made sense. My friend mentioned that her windshield washer fluid wasn't coming out even though she just filled it. We saw that the battery had shifted, battery acid leaked on the hose and ate it thru. We patched it up, tightened down the battery, cleaned the terminals. Within a couple of days, the lights went out in Cavalier.
Just wanted to post this one, since it was so hard to track down my answer. Thanks!

Natural_lawn
When a reply is made, you should get a notification. Sometimes the notifiation goes to the spam folder.

The battry cable causing the problem doesn't make sense as you mentioned the radio working and it is on the same circuit.

I would say working on the battery cable triggerred some connections nearby and that resulted in the lights working. I would suggest checking the connectors and wires around the battery for signs og corrosion or internal breakage.

It was a cable attached to the plate the battery sits on not a cable to the battery terminal. The cable acts as the ground. Since it was not firmly grounded due to corrosion, it probably caused odd failures. I saw a similar problem answered by this fix

Natural_lawn
That should be the ground circuit between between battery and body. Come to think of it, I believe it is possible. Components runs on different wattage and the radio uses a lower amount of electrical power than the dome lights and the poor goruond is sufficient to make it work whereas the dome lights uses more power and the bad ground is not sufficient to make the circuit complete.

Thank you for the input. I would say it is something new I can tuck under my experience belt, never occurred to me that it could be thus.

Have a nice day.

Thank you for the input. Glad you find this a suitable answer. Even though I do not have any connection with this car anymore, it makes me feel more confident that the repair was correct and the current owner will not have a recurrence.

Natural_lawn