WHAT IS CAUSING MY CLUTCH PEDAL STAY'S ON THE FLOOR? IS IT THE CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER BAD? OR IS IT THE CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER BAD? I CAN SEE THE CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER UNDER THE HOOD AND I CAN VISIBLY TELL AND HAD FELT ALL AROUND I

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier • 145,000 miles

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier the very Basic Model don't know exactly the Model, because everything is Manual on the Car-I never got any kind of symptoms and I was driving home and all of a sudden my Clutch Pedal stayed on the floor and no pressure, I had to towed my car from 4 blocks away to my house. I never had any leak sign in my garage floor but now I do when I try to press or push up and down the clutch pedal. I was told that maybe a Clutch Master Cylinder or Clutch Slave Cylinder is bad. I went to the dealer and asked question on how and where to find both of the parts and I was able to find ONLY the Clutch Master Cylinder but not the Clutch Slave Cylinder Only because I was told that it's inside the Transmission and that it will need the Transmission to be remove to replace the Clutch Slave Cylinder is this true? I was also told to check where the fluid leak is coming from and I check the Clutch Master Cylinder and around for any kind of leak and it was all dry, Can the Clutch Master Cylinder go bad even though the outside and around it are all dry? Could this be my problem that my Clutch Pedal stays on the floor? There is however, a fluid leak underneath the engine right between the engine and the Transmission. Or will this Clutch Slave Cylinder be my problem? But before this day I never had any kind or sign of leak and I park my car inside the garage. Any advice is appreciated, thank you
Henrynjo

Sounds like the clutch slave cylinder is leaking since it right above where you see the fluid leaking. Its not uncommon for them to leak. You will probably end up replacing the clutch master also because they can get damaged when pumping them without fluid in them.

Thanks for that info. Now will a mechanic really need to remove the whole transmission enable to get to the Clutch Slave Cylinder or is this a way for them to charge me arm and a leg, and will I need to replace the whole Clutch kit as well, and if so, since a mechanic is going to open the clutch area should I need to have 'em replace the whole clutch or just part that is bad whatever that maybe. Just a NOTE - When the Clutch Pedal was working fine I never had any sign that Clutch was going bad. Like loosing power infact car runs really great with strong power kick in it. All my car's in the past was all 5 speed manual and my past experience with the clutch going bad is that you loose power but the car still runs and the clutch pedal does not just shot out and stay on the floor. However.I did had issue with the Clutch Master Cylinder in the past and I was able to fix it and replaced it myself with the help of a father in-law. Please answer the question above, thank you.

Henrynjo
If its the original clutch I would put a clutch kit in it while your in there. Also have the flywheel turned you do have to separate the transmission from the engine to replace the slave cylinder. Its not just a way for them to take more money from you.I have unbolted the transmission removed the mount dropped the sub frame down some on the driver side and moved the transmission aside and replaced those slave cylinders. But I installed a engine support first to hold the engine in place. What happens is the slave cylinder leaks fluid over time and it leaks it into the clutch housing which you cant really see any fluid on the ground. Then eventually you loose so much fluid you have no clutch pedal. If your father in-law is handy with cars then there is no reason why you and him cant do it.

I have been looking and asking around about my clutch pedal problem staying on the floor and I found out that it's really going to be expensive to replace the Clutch Slave Cylinder and in addition I would also like to replace the Clutch kit set since it's right around the same area so I was told by many and also from the Chevy dealer. But again that's only by asking and not really did the diagnose part of the car but only I was really afraid of what it was going to cost for those repair. So I would like to rule out the possibility that maybe first I would like to replace the Clutch Master Cylinder. I can see where it's located and I can probably reach and remove but I'am not to sure on the bleeding part. Can you please help me find the bleeder screw so that I can try to replace the Clutch Master Cylinder. I can see 2 hose line of tube line, one is coming from the Brake reservoir tank that goes to the Clutch Master Cylinder then another out to engine or transmission area, now this area has some kind of tube sticking out that looks like the tube for putting air on a tire. I this the bleeder part for the Clutch Master Cylinder?
My car is 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2 ECOTEC Base Model and Manual Transmission with 152,000 mileage. My car never gave me any sign of Clutch slipping just a sudden lost of pressure of the clutch pedal and also there was no fluid leak before this happen. Please help. Thank you.

Henrynjo
You said you have fluid dripping from the bottom of the clutch housing correct?If so is it brake fluid?If it is you have a leaking clutch slave cylinder thats the only thing inside the clutch housing that leaks fluid.I have replaced a lot of those slave cylinders for leaking its a common issue.

Yes, the fluid that is dripping from the bottom of the clutch housing is the brake fluid. How does the clutch master cylinder go bad, what are the sign and symptoms? Although visibly around the clutch master cylinder is all dry. Sorry I'm just really trying to rule out and save some money before I get to the clutch slave cylinder repair cost. I talk to Chevy dealer Service and gave me an estimate repair for ONLY the clutch slave cylinder that would cost a little over $1200.00 then I called Good Year and got a estimate cost for clutch kit set including the clutch slave cylinder it would cost me over $1500.00 really expensive and really can not afford this at this time due to over 3 1/2 years of unemployment status very bad economic. But by any chance it could be the clutch master cylinder, like I mension what sign and symptom when the clutch master cylinder go bad? Thanks again.

Henrynjo
If the clutch slave cylinder is leaking into the clutch housing how is that a bad clutch master cylinder doing that?Iam looking at facts here and I have had to replace those same slave cylinders for the exact same problems. Sometimes it takes out the clutch masters also but you will have to replace the clutch slave first because its leaking.I know your trying to save money but turning a blind eye to the slave cylinder that is leaking isnt going to make it stop leaking. If you have the tools to do it all you will have to buy tool wise is a engine support which they sell on amazon and even sell one online at auto zone. You said your father inlaw has helped you out in the past I know its tough out there.I have been unemployed for a while myself thats why I have time to help out on here and help people with there cars that dont have the money to pay someone to fix there car.