HOW DO I RESOLVE A TIMING ISSUE?

2004 Cadillac SRX • 148,000 miles

I have a 2004 Cadillac SRX 3.6. I installed a used 2007 Saturn Aura long block. The car runs good and has plenty of power. The problem is that it takes a long time to get the engine started and three cam positioning sensor codes won't clear. I had a Cadillac dealership run the diagnostic scans. I was told by the tech that the only way to get the car to perform as it should I would have to replace the camshaft actuators. This will be a realative expensive endeavor and I am just trying to gather enough information to determine if this would be the correct course to proceed upon, or if I should just find a Cadillac replacement engine. If I replace the actuators should I use the Cadillac ones, or the ones which fit the cylinder heads which are installed?
Bob
Bproctor

What are the EXACT trouble codes you are getting?

If I remember correctlt they are PO341 PO346, & PO391

Bproctor
Before replacing the acuators, I would check the chains. They are very common for slacking off and changing timing. The pcm cannot compensate and throws those codes.

My main concern that I need answered is: Should the car run correctly with the Saturn heads and actuators installed? The engine I installed has 37,000 miles on it. Assuming that the timing chain is okay and the current actuators that are installed is okay, what would be your suggestion as to where to go from here. Should I replace the actuators with Cadillac ones and do you think that this might correct the problem?

Bproctor
Engine blocka and head could be similar but if sensors and actuators are different, you should always use the ones on vehicle, not from a donor.

Were these problems present when the engine was replaced 37 k miles ago? If not, I would agree with Roy's sugestion of checking the chains.