CADILLAC CTS BATTERY PROBLEM

2004 Cadillac CTS • 120,000 miles

My husband tried to leave for work this morning in our 2004 cadillac cts and he put the key in and nothing happened. There was no click, no turn over, no sound at all. He then tried to take the key out and it wouldn't come out. Nothing electrical wise works. The door locks, interior lights, radio, trunk release, etc all are not working. We had to use the manual release under the steering column to get the key out. I am at a loss!

Start by measuring the battery voltage. If it is close to 12.6 volts, it's not discharged. Look for the smaller black battery wire where it bolts to the body, and the smaller red positive battery wire where it bolts to the under-hood fuse box. Be sure those connections are tight. Also look for a large fuse that's bolted into the fuse box. Be sure those nuts are tight.