TRUNK RELEASE

2003 Cadillac CTS

2003 Cadillac CTS

cannot open trunk with either keyless transmitter or in car trunk release button. How do I repair
Brunswick123

Can you get the trunk open at all. I would check the easiest at first, the actuator on the lid. It might be hidden by a liner held on with clips. If you have and can use a test light, connect it across pins 'A'(tan/white) and 'B'(black). Push the door button and/or fob button, the light should light. If it don't, then check the 'trunk dr release' fuse in left rear fuse block(under rear seat bottom that pulls up). There is a relay(trunk dr rel solenoid) also located in the left rear fuse block. Listen for this to click when trunk switch is pressed. Let me know the progress.

Factoryjack
I have the same problem with my cts. I dont get any clicking from the celinoid. What can it be?

Vitker
If you have power on the circuits I described, replace the trunk release actuator/latch.

Factoryjack
The latch works fine. I tried it on my friends Cts.

Vitker
I don't understand what your after. If you checked power and ground with the info listed above, and you still get nothing from the release solenoid, replace the solenoid/actuator.

Factoryjack
I tried the latch. It works. I tested the solinoid. It works. Checked the fuse. Its fine. Put everything together and the trunk doesnt open. I tested the wires and I dont get nothing. There is power because one wire is hot. But thats it. I dont know........?

Vitker
The rear integration module provides the ground signal to control the trunk release micro relay. At the trunk release solenoid connector, The tan/white wire(pin a) should be hot when a request to open is sent. That validates the relay, fuse, and signal. If you have that signal, then check pin B black wire continuity to ground, it is G402 located in the trunk by the left(drivers side) taillight.

Factoryjack
The ground that is in the trunk is hooked up. The thing is that the relay under the back seat does not click. I checked where it plugs in and my tester light up. I then took a piece of wire and stuck it into the slots, and the trunk lock opened and stayed open until I pulled the wire out. Then the lock closed. So if I bypass the relay the lock opens but doesnt close. I tried putting new relays in. But still have no click. I checked and all the grounds are connected on the main wires. There are three of them. So I am stuck lol. Guess have to take it to the dealer.........

Vitker
As simple as the system should be, it isn't. With what you have done so far, it looks like you only have a few possibilities. Control of the relay is done by the rear integration module grounding it, and that appears to be what is missing. It grounds the relay in response to messages sent to it on the data line, this is where the integration of the keyless path, and the door switch path, is made. You should be able to verify that you have two powers at the relay connector, and then you would almost need a scan tool to read data and see if the RIM is getting a trunk release request. If it is, then you could have a bad RIM, missing power on the control side(which is on the same fuse through a joint connector in the fuse block), or an open ground circuit between the relay and the RIM.

Factoryjack
Thanks you have been big help. Guess I will just have to take it to dealer then. Sucks without the trunk you know

Vitker
Page 1 of 2