HESITATION ISSUES WHEN IDRIVE IS SHIFTING FROM 2ND TO 3RD ON ACCELERATION & DECCELATATION

2004 BMW 545i • 110,000 miles

Noticed first on acceleration there would be a hesitation when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and when deceleration it shifts very hard from 3rd to 2nd. When I use the manual shifting there are no problems. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Donna0603

It sounds like it may be with the TCM (transmission control module). Have the computer scanned to see if there are any trouble codes. Most parts stores will do it for free.

So far there have been no codes. I have a OBD tester.

Donna0603
Is your OBD tester able to read codes other than engine codes? The ones to read all codes, trans, ABS. Are very expensive and most people don't purchase them.

Let me know.

My tester is only able to read codes for the engine. I will take it to an Auto Zone tomorrow. I'll get back with you when I have the test ran and tell you what the results show. Thank you very much.

Donna0603
Keep in mind, most of the parts stores may not have the right scanner either.

What should I ask for to make sure their scanner is the right one?

Donna0603
The issue is very possibly software related.

Dr. Hagerty