TOYOTA TARAGO WHEEL PROBLEM

2003 Toyota Tarago • 340 miles

Hi I have a bad shudder on braking that comes through the stearing. So far I have replaced the front rotors and pads, machined the rotors on the car, new ball joints, removed the front drive shaft and checked the drive joints all good, new sway bar bushes and new tyres still not solved. Any sugestions
Regards Alan Phillips
L&P

After replacement or machining of rotor, was there any improvement of the problem?
Did you measure the runout of the rotor on vehicle? That would give you an idea if the rotor is the cause, as symptom indicates. Were the wheel bearings checked?

Morning, From the old rotors to the new ones the problem stayed the same so had them machined on the car. Also replaced the 4 wheel bearings and did a wheel alignment. Had advice from a stearing and suspension business and they sugested the stearing rack bushes - they had come across this on another similer vehicle. But have ordered these from Japan through Toyota Parts. Regards Alan

L&P
Also Checked rear drive shaft UJ's - good and new drums and brake shoes on rear. Was suggested by my garage that it was in the auto trans but nothing on exceleration or deceleration, only on braking. I havn't isolated the front and rear brakes as yet and tested it that way. Regards Alan.

L&P
If problem occurs only during braking, it should be related to the brakes and rotors. As to steering linkages and bushes, unless they are worn badly, I don't see any relation to the symptoms.

Hi thanks for your quick response. I placed the Tarago into a local brake and suspension MITAS Workshop for a look at the problems.
After 3 days and all banging thier heads they found it was -
The diff had too much back lash, and that on breaking the diff played catch up and sent a shudder down through the car
Secondly - the new rear drums wern't running true and the wheel wasn't stopping smoothly
Thirdly - Possible it had a bent rear axle in relation to the second problem.

Thought I would foward this on to you as it may help with other problem solving down the track with this and other models.
Regards Alan Phillips

L&P
Thanks for the input. It should be helpful for others who might have the similar problems.