STARTER REPLACED, NEXT DAY THE O2 SENSOR GOES OUT?

2003 Pontiac Vibe • 177,000 miles

2003 Pontiac Vibe:

7/2011 - Check Engine Light came on -mechanic cleaned mass air sensor and did tune up. Cleared code.

11/14/11 - Car won't start, then does start. Mechanic replaces starter.

11/15/11 Car makes whirring noise when starting. Gets no power. Mechanic replaces O2 sensor. Cleans mass air sensor again.

We find it odd that the day after the starter replacement was done, the O2 sensor goes out? There had been no previous issues with engine except the one mentioned in 7/2011. Otherwise, the car had been running fine before the starter went out and was repaired.

combined costs were $525
MDG

4 months till the starter failed?

The whining noise is the starter. Take it back and tell him to fix it.

I have never had any sucess cleaning a mass air flow. Replace them when they are reading wrong.

What was the codes this time? Curious about why he did the o2 sensor.

Thanks for the response.
After I posted yesterday, the Check Engine came back on. Stopped at a car parts store and it read PO171. They cleared it and it came back on. Went back to the repair place and he got the same code. He's thinking it is a bad O2 sensor (running lean) and is going to replace it.
Question: We were charged $130 for labor on the first go-around - for the clean mass air and replace the O2 sensor. He said that replacing with the new O2 sensor shouldn't take long. So does 2 hours seem about the right amount of time for the original work?
Thanks!

MDG
If I were you get out of dodge, he's milking you -get another shop to do the diagnosis, otherwise you gonna run dry save the money the kiddies will be needing it for Christmas

Thanks for the advice!

MDG
You're welcome