GAS GUAGE STAYS ON FULL

2003 Nissan Maxima • 146,000 miles

Hello I have a 2003 Nissan Maxima, one day I was driving and notice I haven't got any gas in a few days but my gas gauge stated I had a full tank. The next day while driving home from work I ran out of gas when at that time the gas light came on. I thought to myself how did I not notice I was on "E", so after that I payed more attention and notice the gauge never moved from full until im almost out of gas, and even then it still only comes down to a 1/2 or 1/4 of a tank. I had my throttle cleaned like a month or so before it started happening, could that have something to do with it. I wanted to know how serious it was before taking it in to the nissan dealer.
Barbiemax

It sounds like the sending unit from the float is bad. What makes it worse is that it is part of the fuel pump. That would require the removal of the tank to access. That is where I would recommend starting. Have that checked.

Ok, and how much would you think that would set a girl back? I live in Maryland.

Barbiemax
Actually, make sure to have it checked first. It isn't cheap. I would estimate around 400.00.

Ok thanks

Barbiemax
Glad to help. If you have other questions, let me know.