RADIATOR DRAIN

2003 GMC Safari • 6 cylinder AWD Automatic • 142 miles

How and where do I access tthe radiator drain on my 03 GMC Safari AWD?
Doctasuds

Check at the driver side corner of the radiator

I wish it were that easy. It is on my other vehicles. Seems to be a lot of plstic "stuff" under there. No petcock in sight. What do I have to remove?

Doctasuds
Remove the bottom hose to drain, if you're unable to locate the drain plug

Removing lower radiator hose is a difficult option due to the fact that it is under the AC receiver and part of the air intake system. My 7 year old can't even get his arm down in that space. Underneath is blocked by the frame, and a piece of plastic that also serves as an anchoring point for the power steering cooling lines. I've already removed it thinking I would find the drain but still could not. So. I flushed the system by removing the 5/8" heater hose that is right there on top of the passenger side that goes to the heater core. I connected a water hose to the exposed nipple, and coupled the open line into a catch resevoir. Ran the motor while flushing for 5 min. Thru hose and then 5 more with hose blocked and cap off the top of radiator. Had great flow judging by 4" geiser out of radiator top. I can do this becase the thermostat is stuck open. I am driving currently with water and prestone super cleaner. In 2 days I will reflush w/ water, drain by running empty and siphoning the remaining water out of radiator. Then I will fill w/ new 50/50 coolant. I hate newer cars. More and more they are making them so that us backyard mechanics can't work on them.

Doctasuds