HEADLIGHTS GO OFF

2003 Ford Crown Victoria

2003 Ford Crown Victoria V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 87000 miles

while driving last nite the headlamps only(parking, tail, dash, all others stayed on) went out. Had the system on autolamp, but when switched to manual still stayed off. After bout 3 minutes the headlamps came back on for maybe 3 minutes, then off again. Went thru several cycles of this, before I gave up and called tow truck. Could pull the flass-to-pass back on the dimmer and bright lights would stay on long as holding dimmer switch in flash to pass position. Where should I begin to solve this problem. Thanks, jeff
Jkk

I also own a 2003 Crown Vic. Mine is a Police Interceptor with around 103K on it. I took it in to my local mechanic and we figured its one of two things. The first thing might be that the LCM (lighting control module) is going bad. With the LCMs there are different ones for certain years so if you are going to replace it, find out what the part number is on your module first and try to find a used one. From what I saw, prices range from about 80 bucks to 500 for used. To locate your LCM, look up under the dash near the steering column. Its not hard to find. A new LCM will run you around 400-500 bucks. Be wary of used LCMs though because they might have the same fault. The second option which your problem might is the multi-function switch in the steering column. The MFS controls your low beams, high beams, flash to pass, turn signals and hazard lights. I am not sure what they run in price but its safe to say that you may spend about the same for this as for an LCM. Probably will be less though because the LCM is a series of computer boards with numerous curcuits and so forth. I have yet to fix my lights, but these are two fix options that every mechanic I have talked to agrees on. There is a minor but third possibility as well. If you own a former police car like me, check to make sure that the headlight flasher is not installed still. If it is still there than that will be what is causing it. To check for this, look near your radiator cross beam under the hood or above the front right wheel well. Those are the two most popular mounting locations for flashers.

Zpolachek
JKK I tried to PM you, but it would not let me because I am a new user.

You just described my problem EXACTLY!

Did you get this fixed?

I am also having issues with my windshield wipers and my AC only blowing out the defrost.

Thanks,
Jason

Jferrisrx
ZPOL, update for you. After doing a lot of research, I found out what was wrong with my LCM, the relay they used for the headlamps is a little piece if CRAP. I ordered a new one online for $3.38, took out the old one, sauldered in the new one, and PRESTO, headlamps work fine! Found this on WWW. CROWNVICNET. COM Hopefully this will fix the issue for a few years. There is also a wire harness upgrade you can do to it. Basically, you use a 30 amp horn relay, attach 10-12 guage wire, and then you have a premanent fix. Dealer wanted 450 for a new LCM, and 150 for the job. I paid $3.38 for the relay, and a few bucks on some solder. Mouser Part
number 551-EQ1-11111S MFR Part number EQ1-11111S
No minimum order, free ground shipping.
I hope this helps others in the future to save $$$
-Jason

Jferrisrx
That sounds a lot cheaper, but a more time consuming repair. The LCM I replaced my old one with was an aftermarket LCM which Ford bought to replace the stock LCMs since the relays in the stock mods were not guaranteed to not fail.

Zpolachek
Thanks a lot to jferrisrx for his msg. We were able to fix our LCM for $20 and in less than an hour because of his post and links provided.
Just a heads up to anyone trying to do this, Mouser. Com was back ordered up to 16 wks for this component. A little research led us to wellgainelectronics. Com where they had part
#NEC MR301-HSL which they said was a better replacement for NEC EQ1-11111S. Plus it was in stock and got to us in 3 days.
Thanks again for a great post jferrisrx!

Cobra260z

This is a very common failure for all 2003, 2004 and even 2005 Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis, several taxicabs in Los Angeles have caught on fire in the past year because of the light box failure.

New or used - they end up the same.

Finally a solution! Light boxes that will never fail again. With a lifetime warranty

Call, Text
510-414-1929 ROSS
Email: Cars110@yahoo. Com

Cars110
Thanks for all the posts on this issue. Just a heads up I noticed when I took the LCM apart under the board where the headlight relay is located it had some bad solder joints. They were very minor and I decided to just clean the contacts and solder joints with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol then resolder the bad joints. I test drove afterwards and the lights stayed on thank God as they have not worked in about a year. I hope this helps someone else if you're looking for an easy fix.

Rh1974
To Jferrisrx and all: I have the same issue with headlights going off, intermittent wipers not working at all, and AC only blowing through the defroster.

Did fixing that relay fix all your problems or just the lights? Obviously that is the most important, but I would like to fix all three if possible.

Bmichael5
My '03 Crown Vic LX Sport has 150,000 and has the same problem. The NEC MR301-HSL is now $14.90 and is still in stock at wellgainelectronics. Com, as soon as it arrives I'll give it a shot. As far as the rest of the car is concerned, it has been an electrical nightmare! All four window motors have been replaced, TWICE, the digital dashboard A/C control has blacked out and failed THREE times at $400+ each time, and the A/C blower/fan just went out recently too. To bmichael5, on mine the intermittant wipers are the only feature that I've never had a problem with, but when mine started blowing defrost only (no matter what button I pushed), it was the digital control mod that had gone bad. I hope thats not the case for you - good luck! I love my big, fast, comfy Crown Vic, I just wish it wasn't soooooo quirky - but I wouldn't trade it for nuthin' : -)

Sky006
Prior text read.” A little research led us to wellgainelectronics. Com where they had part
#NEC MR301-HSL which they said was a better replacement for NEC EQ1-11111S.”

After reading the Technical Spec, I do not believe this statement to be true.
The MR301 HSL has a Nominal current of 30 ma.
The EQ1-1111s has a nominal current of 83 ma.

Although it should work initially, I believe the contact will burn out over time. I notice that the wellgainelectronics web site actually states that this is a better replacement. I wonder how they came to that conclusion?

Grand marquis Bob