SHOULD I BE CONCERNED OVER RECEIVING A TRANSMISSION FLUID "FLUSH"?

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier • 83,000 miles

Greetings. I recently went to Jiffy Lube and received "Automatic Transmission Service Fluid Exchange." After some quick online searches, there is a lot of advice against doing a "flush" as it can damage the transmission. I called Jiffy Lube and they confirmed the service is classified as a "complete flush." Should I be concerned?
Vincia1

Not unless you have a problem. Too many people experience some minor transmission shifting issue and think a flush will solve some mechanical problem that has already developed. All the flush will do is remove varnish buildup and debris.

In some cases a problem resulting right after a flush can be attributed to something that was worn and that wear was masked by varnish buildup. Cleaning that varnish out exposes the underlying wear that leads to a problem. The flush, in that case, did not CAUSE the problem. It merely made it apparent. The natural response from uninformed people is to assume it's a new problem caused by the flush. 50 percent of customers will understand that explanation. The other 50 percent will assume the mechanic is lying and refuse to listen to the explanation because it's going to result in repairs someone else isn't going to pay for.

My limited experience with flushes is if you already have a problem, a flush usually isn't going to solve it. If you don't have a problem, a flush might be good maintenance but it is not likely to create a problem.