SUZUKI XL7 RPM PROBLEM

2002 Suzuki XL7 • 124,000 miles

We purchased a used 2002 suzuki xl7 with 123700 miles, about a day after the engine light came on, we took it to autozone and they scanned a 506 code, engine was idiling between 900 and 1500. I checked everything that was in the diagnosis sheet on the engine, no vacuum leaks etc. Pulled off the iac valve and tested it, it was working every now and then so I replaced it with a new one. However it did not come with instructions on whether or not the vehicle had to be reset (relearned) before I turned it on. Almost immediately upon turning it on the engine light disappeared but the engine shot up to over 2000 rpms in park and with in a couple of minutes engine light came back on, i'm sure do to the higher idle speed. Does the vehicles pcm or ecm have to relearn once these are changed? I put the old one back in for now and the rpms have dropped down to between 900 and 1500, please advise.
Dennisaldeman74

P0506 - Idle Air Control System - RPM lower than expected.

Something don't seem right here. If the code is for rpm lower than expected, why is the idling between 900 - 1500?
Specification for idling speed is around 700 rpm.
The IAC does not require any calibration after replacement. Is the replacement IAC OEM or after market? Was the trouble codes rechecked?

Sorry po507 was the other code, I worked on it today and noticed that when I had the new one in it still was pushing almost 3000 in park until I disconnected the maf sensor plug and it dropped to about 1500 rpm in park, so I used some crc maf cleaner and cleaned it. Seemed to work, so I disconnected the battery for 15 min to clear the codes and tried it again she started right up and was about 1500rpms in park and about 2000 rpms at driving normal traffic and dropped to about 900 when when stopped at intersections. I took it out on the highway and ran 55mph at about 2500 rpms. The new Iac is oem. Occasionally I do still get a flux while idling, between 1000 and 1500, any ideas on how to fix this as engine light came back on after a few drives, same codes.

Dennisaldeman74
Or is replacing maf sensor the only route

Dennisaldeman74
We also replaced the air cleaner as the previous owner left an almost totally dirty plugged air cleaner in, and the dealership didn't bother to replace it which probably affected the maf sensor. I cleaned the throttle body before I put in the new iac valve and it works just fine.

Dennisaldeman74
Sorry for the delay in replying. Our email notification system is still not willing to cooperate with me resulting in me not getting any mails.

At 900 rpm the idling speed is still too high and the MAF might or might not be the actual culprit. Check for vacuum leaks and ensure the throttle plate stopper at throttle body had not been tampered with. Any adjustment made can result in more air than required and cause the idling speed to increase.

I looked at the throttle stop and yes they had indeed messed with the screw, the white mark from the stop nut did not align with the white mark on the screw, the screw was turned in almost to within a 3/16 of the screw head . I turned the vehicle on, adjusted it down watching the rpms and it worked beautifully 700 at idle. Cleared trouble codes and will give u a follow up upon test drive.

Dennisaldeman74
Upon test drive everything was perfect, the suzuki idled beautifully and engine performed very nice, thank you for the help, your information was spot on.

Dennisaldeman74
You're welcome and glad to know you have fixed the problem.