ENGINE CODES

2002 Saturn SL2 • 165,625 miles

Hi,

I am showing engine codes; PO 446 Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit, PO 133 O2 Circuit Slow( Bank 1, Sensor 1)& PO 410 Secondary Air Injection System. I was able to read about the code PO 133, it states upstream oxygen sensor response slower than minimum required switching frequency. I know 1 oxygen sensor is located on the manifold, is there any more & where are they located ? Any help with these faults is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew1

The P0133 is the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold there is one other O2 sensor by the cat but that sets a different code.Usually the P0133 is set by a bad O2 sensor its a lot cheaper to order one online especially if you get thr universal one that you have to use the old connector from thr old sensor.I got my O2 sensor from http://www.rockauto.com i also have a 5 percent discount code for them if you want it.The P0446 is the evap vent solenoid which is by the fuel filler neck.The P0410 is the air injection system.Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?Also a hand vacuum pump?

I have a multimeter, not exactly sure what you mean by a hand vacuum pump? Evaporator vent solenoid is this an easily accessible part to replace, also is this a part only the dealer would carry?

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew1
Here is a link to the hanp pump iam talking about it allows you to apply a vacuum to parts for testing.http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Vacuum-pump-and-gauge-tester-includes-24-in-tube/_/N-25jr?counter=2&itemIdentifier=2080_0_0_
Have you checked all your fuses yet?Make sure you check the 10amp fuse labeled emiss and the the big green 30amp fuse labeled air pump.Lets start there i think they rent that hand vacuum pump at auto zone.We will have to check some of the most common reasons for codes by hand because you dont have a tech2 scan tool etc.The vent solenoid is under the left rear wheel liner its pretty easy to change but untill we check it were not changing it.Let me know what you find.

The fuses I asked you to check in my last posted reply are in the inside fuse box.I also want you to check the 10amp fuse labeled cruise its in the inside fuse box behind the passenger side forward center console panel.

Checked all fuses, all were good.

Andrew1
So do you have a multimeter jumper leads with aligator clips and test adpaters to back probe the terminals so you can test and jump the connectors while there plugged in?Also that hand vacuum pump with adapters we talked about?If you do then we can do some testing as much testing as we can without all the special tools.

I have all the equipment at my disposal

Andrew1
I just realized that you have a 2002 car and that has a linear combo valve that opens to let air go in the exhaust manifold from the air injection pump. So we cant test that with the hand vaccuum pump like the 1999 and down air injection systems. When you start the car up when its cold can you hear the air injection pump come on?

Is it a safe bet to change the O2 sensor with the aforementioned code & also the evaporator vent solenoid or is there more testing on these parts that can be carried out? Also the air injection pump, is it located to the left front section of the engine, to the right of the window wash reservoir?& Is the sound it makes easily audible, because I don't hear anything.

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew1
For the P0133 you can replace the o2 sensor in the exhaust manifold as far as the other codes they have to be diagnosed. Yes the air injection pump is over by your washer bottle. You should be able to hear it on cold start when the car has sat overnight. If you dont hear it then open the hood and have someone start it while your under the hood listening for it. Lets start there and then we will tackle the P0446 code. Keep meposted on what you find.