WHAT IS THE CAT?

2002 Saturn L200 • 180,000 miles

My 02 Saturn L200 shifts at high rpm into second. If I let off the gas a little, it then shifts. This happens in any weather. A posting stated it might be a plugged cat.
RickEEE

CATALYTIC CONVERTER---BETWEEN THE ENGINE AND THE MUFFLER

Just to add to this one I have said on here if you have to let up on the gas for it shift you could have a clogged cat. The cat has metals like platnuim pladuim etc and a honey comb inside. Its part of your exhaust system and it helps make the exhaust coming out of the tail pipe cleaner. You can see if there is a exhaust restriction with a simple back pressure test. Bring it to a exhaust shop and tell them you suspect a clogged exhaust.

SORTA DID THAT ON PURPOSE saturntech9

I WANTED TO SEE IF YOU TOOK SPECIAL INTEREST IN YOUR "BABIES" TOO. LOL!

RickEEE BE SURE YOU RETURN WITH YOUR RESULTS. Saturntech9 WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU

AND BESIDES, WE LIKE TO HEAR A HAPPY ENDING BEFORE THE EMAIL NOTIFICATION QUIT COMING

Cats will melt from a car that is running on the rich side. Miss fire or aney thing that will add fuel to the mix. You must fix this or check to see if this made the cat fail

Djcl
Also I have seen cats on those cars just go bad even without a problem with excessive fuel going thru the exhaust. Also burning oil in the engine will damage those cats as well. Cj medevac dont mess with my babies lol.

That's what I assumed - the converter, but I dont understand how that would affect the shifting, so I didn't make the connection. Since you think that's what it might be, I'll have it checked out. Thanks.

RickEEE
A restricted exhaust will effect the map sensor readings making the computer think the engine is under more of a load then it actually is. So the transmission isnt going to shift to the next higher gear when it thinks its under a great load. So that better explains why it wouldnt shift. Have a back pressure test done to see if the exhaust is restricted.