WHY WILL THE CAR NOT COME OUT OF PARK WITH THE CAR RUNNING?

2002 Saturn L100 • 116,000 miles

The inside light and door buzzer or locks do not work either if the car is running. The fuel gauge is not working either way. If the car is in the acc or run position then everything works fine and the car comes out of park also.
Ewoodall

Sounds like a bad body control module common on those cars. Any codes in the computer?

The service engine light is on but haven't had it checked yet. The car can bet started in neutral but was trying to get some answers before driving it to far.

Ewoodall
Need more info to give more answers see if you have any blown fuses like the parking fuse?

I have checked all fuses. Bypassed both switches on the brake pedal and the switch on the gear switch handle.

Ewoodall
There is no need to bypass the brake switch and cruise switch at the brake pedal. If you pop up the shifter indicator there is white over ride switch you can flip with your finger and then move it out of park.

I only bypassed the switches to rule them out as a possible problem. The switch on the shifter is the other one I bypassed to rule out also. I guess my next step is the bcm. Is that a part that a dealer has to replace and program?

Ewoodall
They have to program it with the correct miles and calibration file. There easy to change otherwise.

Thank you for the help and I will make a donation for your time when the car is fixed.

Ewoodall
Thank you in advance for the donation and make sure you post the donation on this question so I get credit for it. Also have them check the body control module for being bad before tey replace it.