CAN AN INCORRECT BATTERY INSTALLATION OR REVERSE POLARITY ON MY TRUCK CAUSE DAMAGE TO ITS KNOCK SENSOR OR THE FUEL SENDING UNIT?

2002 Nissan Xterra • 118,000 miles

A mechanic jump started my 2002 Nissan Xterra S/E (Super charged) 4X4 SUV a few months back and incorrectly installed the battery blowing up a couple of fuses and caused several violent sparks. Immediately following the incident, my truck's "Check Engine Soon" light lit up and I found out that the knock sensor and the fuel sending unit were not functioning properly. Can an incorrect battery installation or reverse polarity on my Nissan Xterra truck cause damage to its knock sensor or the fuel sending unit?

Thanks.

theequalizer@att. Net
Theexponent

It can cause many issues. Yes, it could but if it did, why did not address it when it happened? This is a bit of time after the issue and will be difficult to prove at this point and time.

I guess my only point in bringing the question is whether it was possible under the circumstances. I'm asking because he's denying that it did adversely affect the knock sensor and the fuel level sending unit.

Theexponent
I agree with you that it is directly effected the operation.

When this happens, future electrical issues are common.

Any electrical component can get fried under such circumstances. The faster the main fusible links breaks the lesser damage and if they had taken a longer period to break, the damage would have been more devastating.