ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

2005 Nissan Xterra

2005 Nissan Xterra 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

I have an 05 Xterra. The vehicles battery died one night. After jumping, the vehicle would still not run normally. I replaced the battery and the vehicle started but the gauges did not function and the throttle was unresponsive. The vehicle would only idle. The mechanic replaced a battery cable saying it was corroded and that the battery was being charged at 16 volts but was unsure why at this point. He said there was a possibility that the main engine computer has been damaged. Has anyone heard of this or have any suggestions with how to proceed? Thank you.
Pumilia2

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation.

If the battery is being over charged you must get the alternator charge rate checked 16V is far to high and this can do damage to the ECU, the voltage regulator is internal in the alternator so get it checked & repaired as required, you will also boil the battery dry and if that is the case the acid spill will make a huge mess, get this checked asap.

Mhpautos