ALTERNATOR REPLACEMENT

2002 Nissan Altima • 4 cylinder Manual • 99,350 miles

How do I replace the alternator on a 2002 Nissan Altima? I have removed the electrical components and The top bolt. The bottom bolt is obstructed by a black box (which I assume to be the computer). Also, the belt seems to be an obstacle.
Erikfast

Depends on which engine you have. The QR25DE is easier to work with, you just remove the right front engine undercover to access the belt and alternator. On the VG35DE you will have to remove the entire radiator for this job though.

Bluelightnin6
I have a 2.5SL. I have the top engine cover off, all bolts and electrical connections off, but I cannot figure out how to loosen the belt. The middle pully has a nut on the side that I removed, but that didnt do anything.

Erikfast
CAUTION
Avoid placing hand in a location where pinching may occur if the holding tool accidentally comes off.

CAUTION
Do not loosen the auto-tensioner pulley bolt. (Do not turn it counterclockwise.) If turned counterclockwise, the complete auto-tensioner must be replaced as a unit, including pulley.

While securely holding the hexagonal part in pulley center of drive belt auto-tensioner, move in the direction of arrow (loosening direction of tensioner) using tool.
Insert a rod approximately 6 mm (0.24 in) in diameter through the rear of tensioner into retaining boss to lock tensioner pulley.
Leave tensioner pulley arm locked until belt is installed again.
Loosen auxiliary drive belt from water pump pulley in sequence, and remove it.

CAUTION
When installing, do not loosen the auto-tensioner pulley bolt. (Do not turn it counterclockwise.) If turned counterclockwise, the complete auto-tensioner must be replaced as a unit, including pulley. Avoid placing hand in a location where pinching may occur if the holding tool accidentally comes off. Confirm belts are completely set on the pulleys.

NOTE
Turn crankshaft pulley clockwise several times to equalize tension between each pulley. Confirm tension of drive belt at indicator (notch on fixed side) is within the possible use range.

To install, reverse removal procedure.

Bluelightnin6